Friday, October 10, 2008

These Feet Were Made For Walking !

Hello, Everyone! I know you're all probably wondering how Rox and I did in DC so I'll give you as much information as I can without keeping you too long. Suffice it to say, it was one of the most awesome, exhilarating and tiring experiences I have ever had. Here's some stats:





*There were almost 3,000 walkers at this event, plus between 350-400 crew members and volunteers who did an amazing job! They cooked, and served, and stocked porta pottys, and crossed us safely at intersections, and manned the different sponsor tents, and planned the routes, and put up signs...I mean, they did it all! Just planning logistically for this event would make a normal person run screaming into the night!

*Most of the WALK was in VA, with the last day taking us over Key Bridge from Arlington, VA to Georgetown, DC. We even walked by the White House!


*There were several hundred survivors doing the WALK, the youngest being in her late teens, early 20s.

*About 70 men did the WALK, some of whom were survivors too!


*Some people went all out dressing up for the event, wearing BIG bras on the outside of their shirts with twirly things on the ends or fluffy feathers all around. Very interesting. Not something I'd do, but I enjoyed the creativity of each project which brought laughter and brief moments to take my mind off my aching feet!


*People with signs cheering you on, congratulating you, thanking you for doing this WALK for them, their mother, friend, whatever, lined the streets in various spots. Some gave out chocolates. We made sure we stopped and paid them special attention!


*Pit stops were every 2-4 miles along the 3 routes, each with a different theme (Hollywood, baseball, pajama party, etc.). Most of the crew dressed in costume.


*We didn't visit the Medical Tents at the stops at all the first day, but we frequented them the 2nd and 3rd days ~ Rox for her knee and me for my blisters! I knew I should've taken out stock in the Band-Aid company!


*Food was actually good all the way around. They had lots of things to choose from at the pits and even more at mealtime back at camp. I felt like I grazed all weekend long. Didn't I ask you to pray about that?


*We were comfy in our little pink pup tents though I can't say I've gone to bed that early since I was a little kid. 7:45pm one night and 6:45pm the next! Can you say, "throbbing feet?"


*The sense of community and comraderie was overwhelming. I felt like I was part of something really huge that mattered. It was a really good thing all of us were doing, but I had to wonder why I'd never thought of it before! News Flash! My 20 yo DD told me just yesterday that she'd like to do it with me next time! (Next time? Did someone say we were doing this again?)


*Over $7 million was raised for breast cancer research that weekend. And to that I shout, "HALLELUJAH!" It was worth every tear, pain, blister and mile.


I wish I could say I made it all 60 miles but the fact is, I only made it 55. I did something to my knee at about mile 7 that first day which made me over-compensate for it while I walked which then did something to my hip. I hobbled on another 8 miles before waving down the sweep van. It was either that or not be able to walk at all the next day and I was determined to walk!


Victoriously I pressed through the pain on Days Two and Three and made it every step of the way! What a moment when crossing the Finish Line with hundreds of people there cheering! At that moment, I was an Olympian! (Rocky! Rocky! "Wait, he wasn't an Olympian, or was he?)



Now I want to share some pictures, which is what you've really been waiting for, right?

The picture at the top of this post is of us arriving at Opening Ceremony before we began our walking adventure. Don't laugh! You wouldn't be looking so chipper yourself at 6am!!! Our friend, Linda, was our DD (designated driver) so we made her a team shirt too!

This is of us on the route on Day One. Still smiling...that's good!








A sea of pink tents!








A picture worth a thousand words!

Need I say more?





This is right after we crossed the finish line, crowds cheering! We were given our Victory Shirts (which we're wearing), a pink rose, and then some time to rest our tootsies before an emotional
Closing Ceremony.








And this is by far my favorite picture! Yep, our adventure is over, but with a new understanding and appreciation of what the Race For a Cure is all about!





This experience will forever be etched in my memory with a sense of satisfaction that I participated in something that will eventually benefit all mankind. I encourage each of you to try it too! Get more info at http://www.the3day.org/ and see what I mean.

Glad to be home! I missed you!

P.S. Only one blister left to reabsorb and then I'll be all better!



4 comments:

Kim Marie said...

So proud! We missed you too! Welcome back!!
Kim

Roxy said...

Well it was past our bedtime! hee hee

Viv said...

Well done you.... perhaps you'd like to check out these links
http://bowlslancashire.org/Ladies%20Pink%20Day%20Movie.htm

and

http://bowlslancashire.org/Team%205%20Page.htm

which shows a couple of events I organised here! (On a MUCH smaller scale than your walk, but great fun and a great sense of achievement all the same!)
be patient, they may take a minute or two to view...and they have music too!

Kathy Gerace said...

I loved your pitures from the walk. I can identify with Rox sleeping on her backpack! Just thinking about walking 60 miles tires me out.