Sunday, June 21, 2009
Friday, June 19, 2009
1. He's the oldest of 4 children. It would've been 6 but the twins died when they were born at 7 months. They probably would've lived had they been born today.
2. He's the only left-handed member of his family which means he's the only one in his right mind. As they say, "If the right side of the brain controls the left side of the body, only left-handed people are in their right mind!"
3. He's deaf in his right ear due to chicken pox as a toddler. It helps with his selective listening.
4. He always thought he'd be a medical doctor. After pre-med classes he became a carpenter, then a preacher and now he's working on his doctorate in theology. A doctor alright, just a different kind!
5. He loves "ing" words too - hunting, camping, fishing, playing golf, riding his Harley. No surprise, huh?
6. He, as a kid, loved taking things apart to see how they worked which drove his mother crazy.
7. He's been around the world at least 6 times, speaking in at least a dozen countries.
8. He didn't meet my family til 3 days before our wedding when he got off the airplane with long hair, faded jeans, and a guitar slung over his shoulder. My parents were not impressed but I was!
9. He once rode his Harley down the aisle at our church as it was his sermon illustration for the day, just an example of his ever-increasing desire to break out of the "mold."
10. He won my heart at age 21 and I am blessed each day by his love for the Lord, his love for his family, and the life that we have together!
Here's the card I made him for his birthday, both inside and out!
Happy Birthday Honey!
Wednesday, June 17, 2009
This is the card I made for our kitchen crew at church who was recently honored for being special servants. They meet every Wednesday morning to prepare goodies for our church's after service fellowship on Sunday. We've had everything from cookies, cakes and other desserts to full blown meals! They love what they do (it shows!) and we, the recipients are always blessed by something new and delectable! And their coffee is great too!
Anyway, in addition to taking the whole group out to lunch, we also presented them with a "Bronze Bagel Award" which was hilarious! We took a trophy of a lady with upstretched arms (as in victory!) and stuck a real life bagel on the ends of her fingers (as if she were holding it) that our Assistant Pastor had "bronzed." Actually he lacquered it to the point it looked like a freshly baked glazed donut, but it still got the point across and looked great! The church got a good laugh. The kitchen crew was blessed. And now proudly displayed in our cafe is this award of the highest honor, which always evokes questions from newcomers like "What is that?"
Too fun! Don't you just love making someone else's day?
Sunday, June 14, 2009
This is the sketch for the Corrosive Creations #16 Challenge that my SBS sister, Janet, does each week. And here's my entry for the challenge! I can't tell you who it's for (in case they're reading) but suffice it to say that they've been married a l-o-n-g time!
I used SUs Rainbow Sherbet DSP, Green Galore, Basic Black and Whisper White cardstock. I used the same markers with the addition of Tempting Turquoise. The stamp set is an old one from SU called All God's Children.
It was pretty fun to make - easy and quick!
Friday, June 12, 2009
Roger is turning 47 on the 16th.
This is HIS birthday card.
Lorri is turning 50 on the 17th.
This is HER birthday card.
They are married to one another and have 2 great kids.
He is my hubby's brother-in-law.
She is my hubby's sister.
Sadly, we don't get to see them very often because they live about 5 hours away. But it's just like we've never been apart when we do get together. It's so easy to catch up and bridge the gap of time.
Happy Birthday Roger! Happy Birthday Lorri! (I hope they can hear me singing already...) And since they probably don't read my blog, I'd say it's pretty safe to post these before their big days!
Thursday, June 11, 2009
Have any of you tried one of these folded cards? My friend, Rox, showed me how to do one a couple of weeks ago. As the weird little German guy used to say on the TV show "Laugh In," Very interesting!" It's not one of my favorite type of cards, but it was fun doing just the same. And yes, I will definitely do more in the future! This is what it looks like all folded up...
...and opened! I used a bunch of stickers from an old SU scrapbooking kit, plus some punches, DSP, etc.
If you haven't made one yet but would like to give it a try, let me know and I'll give you the instructions!
I'm a parent chaperone on one of my kids' field trips to the dam this morning so I must get ready. Yep, we get to go down inside the thing and see all the inner workings, learn the history, etc. It's definitely not something I look forward to doing, even though I've done it before. I'm a bit claustrophobic and it just gives me the willy's. But, oh, the things we do for our kids!
Happy Thursday everybody!
Wednesday, June 10, 2009
Monday, June 8, 2009
My entry is a birthday card for my brother who turns 51 soon, a little tri-fold with a "surprise" inside! (hehehe)
Have fun girls!
Now stop reading and go enter!
Sunday, June 7, 2009
Blessings on your day everyone! Now I need to get ready for church!
Saturday, June 6, 2009
I usually don't do challenges because, quite frankly, I don't have the time...though I wish I did! Since there's so many wonderful ones out there though which give alot of inspiration, I decided I NEED to make time to do at least one per month. And being as Stampin' For the Weekend Challenge just started yesterday, and being as my SBS Sister, Vanja, is on the design team, I thought I'd give this one a try. The challenge was to use purple and yellow.
What I used:
* Barely Banana and Perfect Plum cardstock (plus a hint of green for some "oomph" and Basic Black for inside the flowers)
* SUs Top Note Die
* Retired SU DSP from "who knows when"
* Yellow Ribbon from stash
* Green Raffia from a gift received (I love to recycle, don't you?)
* Stamps: "Love You" from a Hero Arts set, and the other from a Round Robin box
* Buttons: SU's Fresh Favorites
* Flowers cut using my Cricut
* Crystal Effects, Glitter Gel Pen, Stamping Dimensionals, Mini Glue Dots, Eyelets
Check 'em out girls! I think they're off to a pretty good start! Great candy to boot!
* * * * * * * * * * *
I just had to show off my youngest daughter today as well! She got new glasses this week!
Okay, time to enjoy the great outdoors! It's simply wonderful today!
Wednesday, June 3, 2009
I know you must be wondering what in the world I'm talking about! Well, once I tell you, you'll most certainly understand because I'm sure you've had your own "last minute saves" that have kept your "fanny out of the fire too." Let me explain.
Yesterday I was minding my own business when I remembered with a startling screech..."Ahhh! I should've sent Aaron's wedding card days ago!" And my hubby specifically asked me to do it too; but with so much to do during his absence (he's with his buddies at Americade in Lake George - a huge motorcycle rally), I completely forgot! With no time to spare, I stopped to smell this most beautiful flower that sits outside my side door, raced upstairs to my "happy place," got out my Cuttlebug and zipped off this card! Voila! Something to check off my list...er, actually I had to put it ON the list before I could check it off, thus the reason for my forgetfulness!
But don't you just love quick, spur of the moment, panic cards that you can whip out in a matter of minutes? I do, and here's the one I did! It's nothing sensational but it'll most definitely do! A little Cuttlebugging here, and die cutting there, pearl pasting, bow tieing, and TA DA - IT'S DONE! (And no one will ever know I almost forgot!)
May the days ahead be just as you expect, with no "Oops! I forgot!" 's in them!
Tuesday, June 2, 2009
I'm not sure which layout is my favorite, but if I had to choose, I guess I'd say my hubby's. His is at the very bottom. I wish his garages were tidy like this; but while most everything else in his life is organized to the hilt, his garages are not, at least not at present. All 5 need a good spring cleaning. (Yes, you read that right. Crazy, huh?) Come to think of it, the inside of the house could use some good old-fashioned spring cleaning too! My, how we accumulate "stuff" when cooped up during winter! Hmmm...I sense a yard sale coming on!
If you had to choose a fav,
which would it be?