Wednesday, October 1, 2008

The Friendly Skies Await!

Well, it's here - the day I'm officially ready to leave for Washington DC. It's actually the day before take off day, but I'm ready just the same. My duffel is packed; my back pack is packed; now alls I have to do is shower in the AM, drop the kiddos at school, and head to the airport. My DH will valet my chariot and we'll chat the whole way there, me leaving him with last-minute instructions, him lamenting my leaving, both batting eyelashes, quick smooches in between lane changes, hands clasped over the gear shift. It'll be a most enjoyable hour's ride to the airport!


Some things to keep in mind as I go:

1. No, the dog won't miss me. (True, he's a cute face and very definitely a good dog, but there's no question in anyone's minds that he's my hubby's dog!).

2. Yes, the kids will miss me, but only at lunch time. Since Daddy will find it easier to have them "buy," they won't get all the little extra "goodies" I usually put in their lunches.

3. Yes, I took care of all the loose ends at the office before I left.

4. No, I won't miss the phone ringing off the hook while I'm walking 60 miles. (I may miss my sofa, however.)

5. Yes, I like camping, but a cushy bed at the Hilton is more my style these days. Nonetheless, bring on the pink pup tents!

6. No, my duffel is not overweight, but I am.

7. Yes, I'm happy it's not supposed to rain in DC this weekend; however, I AM prepared if it does!

8. Yes, I raised ALL of my support for the WALK ($2200) - PTL !

9. Yes, I'm leaving dust bunnies all over the house (mixed in with dog hair for a little extra "flair.") In fact, I may just leave them through the holidays. If I throw some glitter on them along with the new crop of cob webs that will be adorning the house by then, they'll be Christmas decorations!

10. Yes, I am honored to do this WALK for women all over the world - our mothers, daughters, sisters, friends...and even the men who may be affected by this dreadful disease. My prayer is that a cure would be found - and soon!



This is how YOU can pray:

1. Safe travel. I hate flying. I do it because it gets me from point A to point B, but I don't like it. I'm not scared; that's not it. It's the motion sick thing that I've had since I was about two.

2. Duffel arrives when I do. I've had it happen that my luggage doesn't get to my destination when I do, so that's a big one for me considering it'll have all my essentials to do the walk.

3. Fit feet. I've been training for this but really, "can one ever be truly ready to walk 60 miles, even if it is over 3 days?" I know my feet will be tired, but I would like to keep them in good working order.

4. All systems go! No need to explain that one!

5. Divine appointments. I'm really praying that I'll have opportunity to be an encouragement to someone while there - share my faith - bring a little hope. Jesus has done so much for me that I just want to share His love with everyone!

6. Victory in all areas. Walking (3 days straight). Talking (making new friends). Sleeping (usually hard in a "new place"). Eating (or lack thereof)!

7. And last but certainly not least, my family. It's not easy when the "chief cook and bottle washer" is gone from the home. My DH does a dandy good job in my absence, but I know he'd appreciate all those little arrows towards heaven on his and the kids' behalf!

Bless you all! I'll report in when I return!

Up! Up! And Away!

8 comments:

n8tvtexan said...

I'll be praying for ya! What a brave thing you are doing. I can't imagine doing a hike or walk. Guess I need to get myself in better shape. You go girl!!

Susie said...

You have been tagged! Please go to my blog and follow the rules so you can tag 7 people too!
http://ascrapnangel.blogspot.com/
Susie :)

Sharon said...

You are your family will be in my prayers. It is a wonderful thing you are doing.

Debby said...

I've noted all your prayers and they are on my list. Have a wonderful time and this is truly a wonderful thing you are doing. And you are really funny! Can't wait to hear about it when you get back. Take care.

Pia said...

Have a great walk!

Theresa said...

I will keep you in my thoughts wile you are away I hope you have a great time!

Susie said...

hope you have a fun and safe trip.

Please email me at ascrapnangel@yahoo.com

your new sister

Susie

Roxy said...

Check out my last post. Left you a message.